Buddy reading has started!
The ‘Little Buddies’ benefit from:
- hearing stories read-aloud (modeling of reading fluency, phrasing and expression)
- having conversations with an older student about topics that interest and involve them (extending their vocabulary, oral language abilities)
- having regular opportunities to practice familiar reading with 1:1 assistance
- enjoying fun, positive experiences with ‘big kid’ who is now a recognizable face in the school community
The ‘Big Buddies’ benefit from:
- further developing their own literacy skills
- fostering leadership and problem-solving skills
- improved self-confidence that comes from being looked-up to
- a very real and important reason to be responsible, and an opportunity to be ‘caught’ (and praised) for positive behavior
These photos show K5 and Grade students working with their buddies.