Join Us - Employment
Employment Opportunities: Immediate Positions
Positions Available SY 2016-2017
Aoba-Japan International School (A-JIS) is a vibrant and growing school with four campuses in the greater Tokyo area.
- Hikarigaoka & Meguro (Main Campus K-12, 400 students)
- JCQ (Kindergarten, 100 students)
- Summerhill (Kindergarten 100 students)
AJIS will be increasing student numbers in its Early Years and Secondary Years programs over the next 2 years. We are looking for experienced educators who have a demonstrated capacity to effectively collaborate, innovate and teach.
Key Selection Criteria (Necessary)
- Expert teaching and learning knowledge.
- Demonstrated high-level teaching skills.
- Deep understanding of the continuum of learning
- International Baccalaureate knowledge and practice
- Bi-lingual an asset
- Leadership aspirations
New: We are currently seeking these positions for the next school year. Application deadline – 31 May 2018, Start date – 1 August 2018
- K4 Teacher
- Grade 3 Homeroom Teacher
- EAL Teaching Assistant
Tentative Job Openings:
- DP Biology/Chemistry Teacher
- PYP/MYP Visual Art Teacher
- MYP/DP Japanese Teacher
- PYP Japanese Teacher
If you are interested in joining us please forward:
- Cover letter (no more than 250 words).
- Contact Details
- 3 References (include most recent supervisor)
Submit applications by email only to:
Please read the details below carefully to ensure your application is considered and has the best opportunity of success.
General Hiring and Employment Information
A-JIS is always looking for substitute teachers. If you are interested in being considered for substitute work, please send in your application.
Recently the owner of Japan’s largest on-line University, Business Breakthrough (BBT), acquired A-JIS. As a consequence, the school’s faculty is focused on transforming their practice to achieve the realization of Mr Kenichi Ohmae’s vision of reimagining a learning environment that supports ‘lifetime empowerment through ‘creativity’ ‘innovation’ and ‘entrepreneurship’.
If you value ‘conceptual learning’; apply an ‘inquiry approach’ to your teaching; are ‘futures oriented’; believe in ‘sharing common values’ and have experience in ‘applying the IB curriculum’ then please consider applying.
Our expectations are that you teach the IB curriculum effectively; actively participate in inquiry teaching; participate in virtual networked learning communities; create positive and effective relationships with key stakeholders in the school community; adopt an action research stance to the development and introduction of creativity and innovation in your classroom; collaboratively plan and make a valuable contribution to the teaching team; and that you share responsibility for whole school student outcomes.
If you are considering applying, please prepare the following documents and attach them to your email.
- a cover letter outlining why you would be suited to the position (1 page only)
- a curriculum vita with your qualifications and experience (2 pages only)
- a contact page with details with your name, address and contact information of three referees (1 page only)
Please identify the position for which you are applying in the subject field.
Applications with more material than requested will not be considered.
Previous candidates need not to apply.
We will contact those whose skills and experience best match our needs.
Aoba-Japan International School (A-JIS) is dedicated to the growth and advancement of a qualified and skilled team of teachers and administrative support staff, who are committed to the mission, philosophy and objectives of the school. Recruiting for the new school year typically begins mid-way through the current school year and begins with the posting of vacancies on this page and TIE Online. There may also be occasions when applications are invited for teaching and administrative positions within the school year.
Confirmation of Applications
Due to the large number of applications received each day we are unable to respond personally to all applications and inquiries. Only applicants selected for interview will be contacted.
Potential applicants are welcome to email or post unsolicited applications for consideration for future positions, however “drop-in” visits and calls to our campuses for the purpose of employment inquiries or application submissions are not accepted. All applications are accepted by mail and email only (email preferred). Applicants will be contacted by email in the event that a suitable position becomes available for further discussion of the application process. Applications will be maintained on file for a period of one year. Please do not send multiple unsolicited applications within the same year.
Note for English Instructors, ALT and ESL Teachers
We welcome all applications from qualified teachers, including those with English-language teaching experience in Japan, however we are unable to consider applicants without a proper school-teaching degree and certification. A-JIS is an accredited international high school, middle school, elementary school and kindergarten, providing educational programs in the same manner as all international schools, including homeroom classes, mathematics, science, language arts, social studies, art, music and physical education. The School does not provide Eikaiwa-style English conversation classes or ALT (Assistant Language Teacher) programs and applicants must be qualified to teach at the kinder, elementary or middle school or high school level, i.e. possess a completed degree in education and certification to teach in the school system in their home country or Japan.
The School provides an intensive program for students with limited English-speaking ability, however this program is homeroom-based and teachers are typically engaged in other subject areas such as mathematics, science, language arts and social studies. Therefore we are unable to consider applicants with English conversation teaching experience or short-course ESL qualifications, unless the applicant also has school teaching qualifications. Administrative support positions and extra-curricular programs such as the Mother Tongue Program are the exception, where applications are considered on the basis of relevant qualifications and experience.
Administrative Support Positions
Administrative support positions in the school include positions such as the School Nurse, Admissions Officer, Accountants, Facilities and Maintenance Staff and Secretarial staff. Vacancies for these positions are typically posted on this page and on job resource boards such as Career Cross, Daijob or The Japan Times. Due to the relatively low frequency of vacancies in these positions, unsolicited applications are not maintained on file long-term and therefore interested applicants are advised to check this page on a monthly basis for vacancies.
Substitute, Supply and Relief Teachers
We maintain a database of teachers living in the greater-Tokyo area (Tokyo, Saitama, Kanagawa and Chiba), within a reasonable travel distance of our campuses, who are willing to provide teaching services on short notice in the event of teacher illness or leave, on a one-day or short term basis. Interested applicants should send their resume, teaching qualifications, professional references and a short cover letter in English by email to the address below. Applications are accepted from qualified and certified teachers. Available teachers are maintained on the database for the current school year and interest and availability should be renewed each new school year.
Your application has the best opportunity of success if:
- All documents are provided in English.
- Your application is sent to our Contact Us account and not to other email addresses in the School. Make sure that you select check off the box indicating that your submission is an employment inquiry, and attach ONE pdf containing your resume, cover letter, and other pertinent information as outlined here.
- All attachments are provided in PDF or Word format, where possible as a single attachment.
- Attachments have clear and complete titles, such as Your Name – Resume.
- All documents are A4 size where possible.
- Your full name is included in the email header.
- Your email is addressed only to us, not to multiple schools and other recipients.
- Your email has a clear subject header such as Application for (position title) or Employment Application.
- Your email contains a short introductory cover letter in the body of the email, written in a professional manner.
- Your application clearly demonstrates your teaching qualifications and credentials and you are NOT applying for an English conversation teaching position.
- Your application does not provide multiple or large photos of yourself.
- Our email address is not included in automatic email notices and invitations from Facebook, Twitter and other social media, potentially resulting in your application being picked up as spam.
- Your application is provided only once within a school year or when a specific position is advertised.