教育 - 英語集中強化クラス(Intensive Program)
English as an Additional Language (EAL) Programme
A-JIS is proud to serve a large population of students from many nations, cultures, and language backgrounds. Our EAL programme has been redesigned from the ground up to create a leading, research-based language acquisition programme that directly aligns with the IB philosophy and pedagogy.
Our EAL Goal / Philosophy
Our goal is to ensure we support all children to be able to fully access the IB curriculum.
- We are adamant about the value of language for authentic communication of one’s own feelings and thoughts, and of becoming an active local and global citizen.
- We are adamant about the integral and life-changing power of literacy and expression. They are essential to helping us interact and thrive in our complex and ever-changing world.
- We are adamant about the need to celebrate and support multilingualism inside and outside of our school environment. The ability to communicate fluently using a variety of languages is critical to success in our interconnected world: personally, academically, and economically.
- We believe EAL students learn most effectively in an environment where education professionals plan and practice collaboratively for the cognitive, linguistic, and social development of multilingual students.
How It Works
Our newly implemented EAL programme adopts a systematic approach to the teaching of English across the whole school and includes:
- Language development based on proficiency criteria to identify individual student needs.
- Highly effective, attentively constructed pull-out and push-in support models.
- The engagement of all classroom and EAL teachers in the teaching of English.
- Individualized English Proficiency Plans (IEPP) for all EAL students.
- Parent support and systematic homework programmes.
- Optimal class configurations.
- Three-stage EAL to grade level assessment cycle using the WIDA Model assessment.
In the 2015-2016 school year, after an analysis of our data from our IEPP goals and WIDA assessments, the EAL programme at A-JIS improved our students English proficiency by over one full point on average (on a five stage scale). This is a tremendous achievement that would normally take at least a full year or longer to achieve (based on the CALP model from Professor J. Cummins).
The EAL Support Faculty
The programme’s faculty consists of trained professionals who strive to create an inclusive, optimal language-learning environment for your child to succeed at A-JIS and beyond.